• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McG
    McG
    • Mar 2009

High-end GPUs benchmarked at 4K

4K rezolucije budu polako, ali sigurno postale dijelom standarnih benchmark metodologija i ovaj članak zorno prikazuje kakve performanse (je moguće) očekivati od današnje GPU ponude, a tu je i (nVidijin) novi FCAT (1, 2) alat za detaljno analiziranje i mjerenje broja sličica u sekundi. Inside the second with nVidia's frame capture tools i Overclockers' take on nVidia’s FCAT GPU testing su također vrijedni čitanja.

Single GPU Performance
    While the GTX 680 and the HD 7970 both cost around $450, the GTX Titan is more than twice that with a $999 price tag, realistically putting it in a different category all together. That being said, the GeForce GTX Titan is the single best GPU for gaming at 4K resolutions. It was faster than all of the other single GPU variants by a significant margin and was able to do so without introducing any kind of frame latency issues you might see with dual-GPU options. The Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition was the second best card and considering you can find it for less than half the price, it makes a compelling case at beating out the GTX Titan for 4K bragging rights. It performed better than the GTX 680 2GB and GTX 680 4GB in our testing which follows the results we have seen at 2560x1440 previously.

Single Card Performance
    If we limit our options to single cards, whether they be single GPU or dual-GPU, the battle is even more interesting. Because AMD's new Radeon HD 7990 depends on CrossFire technology to perform, the 13.5 beta driver that still has the runt frame and frame time variance problems places it in a very bad light compared to nVidia options like the GeForce GTX Titan and the GeForce GTX 690. The GTX 690 is comprised of two GK104 GPUs that run in SLi, but nVidia's multi-GPU options do not demonstrate the same performance issues that CrossFire does thanks to hardware frame metering technology. As it stands today, the GTX 690 is clearly the best card for 4K gaming under $1000. Even better than the GK110 based Titan, the GTX 690 only suffers in a couple of cases with the 2GB frame buffer per GPU despite the 6GB that reside on Titan. Most of the time the frame metering on the GTX 690 produces nearly as smooth animation with better frame rates.

Final Thoughts
    Users that bought a single GTX 680 or single HD 7970 will find that newer games like Crysis 3 won't breach the 25 FPS level even with image quality settings dropped off the maximum levels a bit. Even GTX Titan buyers will find that their card has a bit of a struggle to keep playable frame rates at this resolution. Gamers that want the ultimate experience on a 4K display or TV will want to own a GTX 690 or better yet, a pair of GTX Titan cards running in SLi. I guess if you are willing to invest in a 4K TV, you should be willing to invest in high performance graphics hardware as well.

FCAT Hardware Setup
    We have our traditional Game PC with the dedicated graphics card installed. We startup a game or benchmark sequence. The game is rendered, passes several stages and then frames rendered are ready and served towards the monitor. It is precisely at that stage where we make a bypass. The DVI-DL monitor output cable we connect towards a Dual Link DVI Distribution Amplifier (or high resolution capable DVI switch). We connect out graphics card towards the input of the switch. Now the switch will clone the signal towards two outputs on that switch. One output we connect the monitor to but the second output we connect towards a framegrabber AKA Video Capture Card.

Ours is a Single Channel 4 lane PCI Express bus with maximum data rate of 650MB/sec and support for a maximum canvas of 4Kx4K HD video (we wanted to be a little future proof) capture for all progressive and interlaced DVI/HDMI modes. This card is €1500 alone! We are not there yet though as we need to place the framegrabber into a PC of course. Fast is good, so we are using a Z77 motherboard with Core i7 3770K processor. The encoding process is managed by the processor on the frame grabber in real-time too, if I/O is managed fast enough, we'll have less then 10% CPU utilization while capturing 2560x1440 @ 60Hz streams in real-time.
    Last edited by McG; 02.05.2013., 16:30.
  • McG
    McG
    • Mar 2009

Choosing a Gaming CPU: Single + Multi-GPU at 1440p - taman se nadovezuje na prethodan post, pošto je 2560x1440 nekak prirodnije stanište i logična nadogradnja za trenutačan vrh GPU ponude. Izgleda da 4K dolazi na svoje (tek) sa nVidia Maxwell (on-die ARM), Volta (on-die DRAM), te AMD Sea, Volcanic i Pirates Islands arhitekturama.
    Last edited by McG; 10.05.2013., 02:32.

Comment

• Pupo
      • Aug 2008

Gledam nekidan neke testove, 780Ti triple SLI, neznam koja igra, ugodnih 32 frejma.

S tim da nevidim baš svrhu gejmanja na nekom "malom" 4K monitoru.
      OC Team Croatia crew

Comment

• McG
        McG
        • Mar 2009

nVidia GeForce GTX 880 i AMD Radeon R9 300 Series bi barem prema ovim prvim nagađanjima trebali kolko-tolko omogućiti pristojan broj sličica u sekundi, bez da se (ko danas) mora posezati za multi-GPU rješenjima.

Comment

Working...
        X